Monday, October 13, 2014

We all have fears...

Big fears, small fears, rational fears and irrational fears. We all handle our fears the way we can. We avoid, or maybe we face them. That is what I am doing through Pharmacy School. I am using my daily activities in Pharmacy School to conquer a fear; the fear of public speaking.

I have always had a fear of standing in front of a room full of people with all eyes on me. I would start to sweat, my face would burn up and my hands would shake. Even if the audience was only a few people, the fear was the same.

I would have to spend days amping myself up and preparing for the horror. I tried the common methods: picture everyone in their underwear, look above someones head instead of in their eyes, take deep breaths.  None of those seemed to calm my nerves. So, how would I face this fear? 

I chose to start small. When the teacher would ask if anyone had questions I would raise my hand and ask my question. I would participate in class when the teacher asks a question of us. I would speak up during our small problem solving class when it was my group's turn to present. All these were little first steps to help shake the fear of public speaking. By slowly easing myself in to getting comfortable speaking in front of the class then it would start easing me into presenting projects. 

Then when it would come time to presenting to the class I would use preparation to calm my fear. I would practice the presentation in front of my boyfriend or roommate. Here I would get used to saying the information to an audience. I would have them ask me question so that I would be prepared for whatever was thrown at me in the class. These little things helped me.

I guess for me the best way to conquer my fear was to ease myself in and prepare. 

No comments:

Post a Comment