Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Coaching vs. Mentoring

Coaching and mentoring are two relationships that are often confused with each other. They are also two things commonly discussed in pharmacy school. We are told by professors, colleagues and even key note speakers for professionalism events that having a mentor is extremely helpful.
I have had both mentoring and coaching relationships and here is how they have stacked up...

Coaches are there to direct. They tell you what to do and how to do it the best you can. I played field hockey when I was younger and a coach relationship was more of a one sided relationship. My coach gave me advice on my abilities and helped to teach me the things they knew. It was more instructive and less personal.

When it came to people I have mentored and people who have mentored me there was more of a collaborative relationship. As opposed to my coach telling me how to do things the right way, my mentor listened and helped me make decisions for myself. Mentoring is mutually beneficial and more about listening and helping impart wisdom than directly telling a person how to do things. 

I have had benefits from both mentoring and coaching relationships. Both have their place in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment